There is so much to be said and discussed when it comes to astrology. It is an invaluable tool, and one completely worth seeking out and understanding. However, there tends to be a lot of, “What?!” when it comes to understanding the basics of astrology. I am by no means an expert, but rather an arduous student myself, and have found astrology to be a priceless help in my life. There are many better sites that go in depth, but here are my notes from my own studies.
Through my notes and resources, I hope to give you a little clarity and direction in terms of astrology, and with that, maybe a little more desire to understand it and use it for yourself.
What is a Natal Chart?
A natal chart is basically a snapshot of the universe of how it looked exactly when you were born, from the vantage point of where you were born. In order to figure out your natal chart, which you can do for free, you absolutely have to know the time and location of when you came into the world. Because every spot has a different angle of viewing the heavens, and the heavens are constantly moving, no snapshot really looks the same for everyone. Sure, some look quite similar, but not ever really the same. This shot is unique to you and gives input and information that is unique to you. As a friend once put it, it’s basically a “Cliff Notes of your life” – So. True.
Sun Sign? Ascendant? Midheaven?! What?!?
Okay, so there are four basic things you need to know in regards to your natal chart and how astrology in general is going to effect you, and how you can use it as a tool in your life:
- Your Sun Sign
- Your Moon Sign
- Your Ascendent (aka Rising) Sign
- Your Midheaven
Let’s break it down, shall we?
- Your Sun Sign is the sign that everyone tends to know. This is your Ego self, your “basic you”, your personality. It is basically the building blocks to who you are.
- Your Moon Sign is your inner world, your emotions; who you are when no one’s watching or when you feel safe in your surroundings.
- Your Ascendent Sign is the you you put on display for the rest of the world. It describes how you see and interact with the world and your overall temperament. It’s your “personal face”.
- Your Midheaven is what you’re to do with your life, and/or the direction you are supposed to take it in. It traditionally indicates career, status, aim in life, aspirations, public reputation and life goal(s). It’s your “public face”. It deals with how you interact and respond to the world and society at large, and how they see you.
Your sun sign is easy to figure out and most people know what it is. The other three you absolutely need your correct natal chart information for. Once you know these four and begin exploring them, you might be surprised at how they answer a lot about your personality and how you think, feel and act. Have fun, and take away from your discoveries what you will.
Don’t forget, astrology, like all things religious or spiritual, is a buffet – take away from it what you will.
Stay tuned for future basic info! In the meantime, here are some of my favorite sources:
- Kaypacha’s Pele Reports for the win!!
- Alyssa Sharpe is clear, honest, understandable and awesome! A GREAT start for beginning basics.
- This is a really fantastic site all around
- I would recommend getting into her input and insights once you’re familiar with the basics, as she tends to be very detailed, which is great, but you need to understand the building blocks first.